Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Holidays & Anxiety

Happy Holidays everyone!

I hope you're having a great time with family, and just be thankful for who you have in your life. Tell the people in your life that you love them, be thankful for what you get and make sure to put in some thought into your parents. Because it's the thought that counts, and not how much it cost.

Although the holidays are a time to be happy, I also have a message for those who struggle with them, who just get the blues or those who get anxious around this time.

Do what makes you comfortable, and whats going to let you have a good time at the family events.

I know something I've always experienced around this time is severe anxiety. 

Actually, at any family event I always suffered severe anxiety. I never wanted to say hi to family members that I didn't know.

My parents always obligated me to give a hug and a kiss, and I never felt comfortable, not even with my parents.

I don't like to be touched, hugged, or kissed on the cheek. I always felt like it invaded my space, and of course I felt horrible about it because my parents would make me feel bad for being rude.

I always felt like this whenever the thought of having to hug somebody or have a stranger touch me came to me. People need to understand this.
Credit to: JammyScribbler (DeviantArt)


But I'm going to tell you something.

It's okay if you're only okay with a wave or a handshake. Do what makes you comfortable because you're the one dealing with this.

And don't let anyone make you feel bad about it!

Make sure you guys stay safe, don't drink or drive, don't text and drive, be cautious of other drivers.

Sleep does reduce anxiety so make sure you have a good nights sleep, if you feel your anxiety begin to flare up, listen to some calming music, or anything that makes you feel calm.

If you feel like you might have a panic attack, start counting backwards from 100. Or do the five senses trick! Five things you can see, four things you can hear, three things you can touch, two things you can smell, one thing you can taste. Name them.

If you start having a panic attack, go to a quiet room, if you need someone, ask for help. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

And if you really need to, leave the situation. Worry about yourself, not what others are going to think. It's okay to be selfish.

Happy holidays, you guys!

Love Rebeca XX

No comments:

Post a Comment